At WDPS we believe that Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity. Through the delivery of a high quality music curriculum at WDPS, pupils become inspired to develop a love of music and to develop their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress at WDPS, they will begin to compose and to listen, analytically, to a range of music.
The WDPS Core Values (‘Learner Profile’ and ‘Attitudes to Promote’) are embedded in the children’s learning experiences in the International Primary Curriculum and in the WDPS Life Skills Challenge modules.
At WDPS, during Music lessons, the children develop the ‘Attitudes to Promote’ and ‘Learner Profile’ values of: Principled, Collaboration, Communication, Risk Takers, Thinkers, Knowledge, Respect, Cooperation, Independent, Enthusiasm, Creativity, and Integrity.
At WDPS the children are taught to:
Phase1 (Years 1 and 2)
- use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.
Phase 2 (Year 3 & 4)
- use voice & instruments with increasing accuracy, control and expression
- improvise & compose music
- listen with attention to detail
- appreciate a wide range of live & recorded music
- begin to develop understanding of history
Phase 3 (Years 5 & 6)
- perform with control & expression solo & in ensembles
- improvise & compose using dimensions of music
- listen to detail and recall aurally
- use & understand basics of staff notation
- develop an understanding of the history of music, including great musicians & composers
For children over the age of five, WDPS ensures it covers the statutory knowledge, skills and understanding from the English National Curriculum which is made up of these subjects:PSHE with Citizenship Design Technology Art & Design Geography History RE Music PE Science Computing English Mathematics Modern Foreign Languages Early Years Curriculum International Primary Curriculum